Transforming Food Systems for Affordable, Healthy and Sustainable Diets for All: A High-Level Discussion on the Key Findings of the 2020 State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World Report
The 2020 State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World (SOFI) report highlights the most recent and authoritative estimates of the extent of hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition around the world. The Report calls for a transformative change in food systems to ensure healthy and affordable diets for all, a sine qua non for eliminating hunger and malnutrition.
As the 2030 deadline looms, SOFI 2020 gauges whether #ZeroHunger remains achievable by tracking countries' performance and trajectory to offer a tiered assessment of the likelihood of success.
On July 14, FAO and IFPRI held a high-level discussion with distinguished speakers, including Members of the US Congress and the Directors-General of FAO and IFPRI, on the report’s key findings as well as the potential impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on global food and nutrition security.
- QU Dongyu, Director-General, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- Johan Swinnen, Director General, IFPRI
- Congressman Jim McGovern, 2nd District of Massachusetts and Co-Chair of the House Hunger
- Senator John Boozman, Senior US Senator of Arkansas and Co-Chair of the Senate Hunger Caucus (Invited)
- Jeffrey Sachs, Director of the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network and SDG Advocate for UN SG Antonio Guterres
Presentation of Report's Key Findings
- Máximo Torero, Chief Economist, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- Anna Herforth, Tufts Affiliate and Senior Research Associate, Department of Global Health and Population, Harvard Chan School of Public Health
- Anna Lartey, Director, Nutrition, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- Marie Ruel, Director, Poverty, Health, and Nutrition Division, IFPRI
- Vimlendra Sharan, Director, FAO North America
- Thomas Pesek, Senior Liaison Officer, FAO North America